Top 10 Albums of 2012
2. Bat For Lashes: The Haunted Man — I've loved Bat For Lashes from day one. She is consistently good. Her dulcet tones helped lull me to sleep in my bunk on the tour bus over a two-month period.
3. Grimes: Visions — Her videos are cool. It's obvious she does what she wants. Her songs are serene electronica. Soothing, yet they make me want to dance at the same time.
4. Friends: Manifest! — "I'm His Girl" is one of those tracks that is just an instant classic. I was lucky enough to see these guys play in London in February.
5. Emeli Sande: Our Version of Events — She hails from Scotland, so one bonus point there. She also has one of the best voices I have ever heard. The kind of voice that makes you cry because you will never be able to emulate such great heights. "Heaven" is a great, great track.
6. Beach House: Bloom — I'd never listened to Beach House before this alburn. It feels good.
7. Miaoux Miaoux: Light of the North — I've recently moved back to Glasgow from London so wanted to immerse myself in the music scene up here. I'm all about flying the flag. 8. The M Machine: Metropolis Pt. 1 - I discovered this album when I was looking for tunes to spin for a DJ gig in Poland this sumrner. It's not what I would usually listen to, but everything has a place. Love the dirtiness of "Immigrants." Love, love, love it.
9. Tame Impala: Lonerism
10. Churches — OK, so they haven't officially got an album out yet, but perhaps they will have by the time this is print. I've loved their songs "Lies" and "Mother." Again, hailing frorn Glasgow. I think these two guys and a girl are going to go far. They're so fresh.
What was the highlight of 2012 for either you personally or for the band?
I think I will remember 2012 as the year I wrote and recorded my debut solo album, launched a Pledge campaign to support it, and fulfilled the target within about two days. It's amazing what people power can do.
What was the low point of 2012 for you?
The low point of 2012 for me was losing my granddad. He was so cool. I miss him.
Tell us about your first kiss.
I had my first kiss when I was about 12. I wore a brace. Not cool.
Did you watch this year's Olympics? What was your favorite event and which event would you be best at?
I lived in Hackney until a couple of months ago so was lucky to have the Olympics right on my doorstep. It was such a great time. Everyone was on a high. London had never been such a happy, friendly place! One of my favorite events is the swimming and I actually went to some of the heats. Being a bit of a water baby, I like to think I'd be good at the freestyle.
What is your least favorite sound? What is your favorite?
I hate the sound of a knife on a plate. It makes me angry when someone eats too hard! I was walking my dog the other week in the Glasgow sunshine, kicking through the autumn leaves. It made me smile.
What do you think about the use of drone attacks in the war on terror?
Drone attacks are this generally unreported elephant in the room. I'm sure if more people were aware they were happening and knew the destruction they created then there would be outrage. It's like blanket killing. Maybe a target will be hit, maybe not, maybe just innocent civilians. Imagine if this was happening in The West. World War III would break out. People are people—it doesn't matter where they come from.
In 2012, what was the best movie you saw, book you read, comic book you read, video game you play and/or TV show you watched?
I've been really hooked on Homeland over the last year. It keeps me gripped. I haven't liked Claire Danes this much since My So Called Life.